1. Hi! Welcome to VRCat.club. This forum is now obsolete with the release of the official Ask VRChat forums. Please go there instead! Over time, this forum will be set to read only, and eventually removed. Move your threads and content! https://ask.vrchat.com/

Advice for Selling Custom Avatars - Cloning??

Discussion in 'Avatars' started by Karrow, May 10, 2020.

1. Karrow

Karrow New Member

VRChat:
    KingKarrow
    Hello! I have recently started taking commissions for making custom VRChat avatars from scratch- people pay me to take their OC, and do the whole modeling, texturing, rigging, and Unity process. So the work is 100% mine.

Recently, I had a couple offhand comments from commissioners who have already paid the up-front cost (I charge half up front), that they were going to have fun -cloning- the avatar onto their friends. That is.... not okay to me. In my eyes, I have estimated a price for a UNIQUE character for ONE person. This is not some generic base, and it is not meant to be used by anyone except THAT person.

My first question is- am I right to restrict this? Is cloning really that big of a deal? I know what cloning is- the other people don’t actually get to own or modify the files. But they still basically get a distributed copy of my work, for free!

My second question- my only option to restrict this, is to upload from their account, right? Otherwise it’s an honor system. And if I caught them doing it I couldn’t even do anything because I gave them the files to upload with their own ID. Except maybe call them out to other commissioners, not work with them again, whatever.

Thanks in advance!

2. Rithrin

Rithrin Member

VRChat:
    rithrin
    From my view what your proposing is like making a car for someone but not allowing someone else to drive it. It sounds crazy. Someone has paid for a "product" and thus should have the right to share and do what they want with there "product". Standard practice would be to provide a unity package. If people chose to edit or share something that they paid for seems normal to me.

TLDR: From my perspective yes your wrong to consider restricting this on a paid product.

3. Karrow

Karrow New Member

VRChat:
    KingKarrow
    Ah, I found a Discord group to discuss this with. Forgot I posted here. But I can summarize my thoughts.
    I will in fact be keeping my files to myself. If I were to hand off the files, it's VERY likely whoever they might share the files with would modify without permission and continue to redistribute (probably without credit to me). And there would be nothing I could do about it.
    I know VRChat is insecure, and leaks happen anyway. But at least then I'm not just handing it over and letting it happen.
    Developers (who work for clients) always protect their source material (source: full-time developer). It's nothing new. If anyone can take your work and modify/distribute it for free, you lose potential clients.