1. Hi! Welcome to VRCat.club. This forum is now obsolete with the release of the official Ask VRChat forums. Please go there instead! Over time, this forum will be set to read only, and eventually removed. Move your threads and content! https://ask.vrchat.com/

Apply Texture to certain area

Discussion in 'Avatars' started by H4rdstylez, Dec 3, 2019.

1. H4rdstylez

H4rdstylez New Member

Hi there, sorry if this has been asked before but I haven't found a topic and I don't really know how to google this properly.

I'm making an avatar inspired by a TV Show and I want to add a logo to a beret, but I don't know how to go about that.

My guess on how to add it would be to select the area on the beret, assign a new material to it and make it the logo texture. I haven't used Blender in a while and I'm not too savvy with it but this is how I think it MIGHT work.

However, since I'm struggling with the texture no matter how small I make it and it not coming out right, I'm turning to this forum for possible help. Maybe there is some tactic or button/shortcut I'm missing or haven't learned yet. I'm very open to learning stuff about models but I'm a visual learner so if someone wants to explain something to me, please provide pictures if possible so it's easier to understand! ^^;

2. Jeane

Jeane New Member

Can I see what it looks like right now how that's not right?

3. H4rdstylez

H4rdstylez New Member

Of course, I wouldve posted sooner but IRL stuff kept me from it.

https://i.imgur.com/8zscuHg.png

https://i.imgur.com/ZqvpNYX.png

As you see, the texture is stretched no matter how small I make it. I'm not sure what I should or can do in this instance because this is the method I described above (which didn't work or might not work the way I think it does)

(I can't post pictures for some reason with the image button, forgive the links)

4. Iwannalookatattachments

I think an easier method is to just edit the texture in image software and to overlay your logo onto the hat texture. If that isn't possible because of a mirrored texture or another reason I have done something similar to what you are trying to do, although it was to add a tattoo.

It has been a minute, but using blender I remember making a new material entry for the tattoo, making sure to match all the settings from the main material otherwise it could be lit differently in game. Then selecting the faces I wanted the tattoo to be on I unassigned the main material and assigned the tattoo material. I also edited the UV of the tattoo faces so that the tattoo was lined up with where I wanted it to be. It took a while to match all the settings so that it didnt look like a sticker where it was a big reflective box surrounding the actual tattoo and the main skin material wasn't.

To fix that issue completely and have the option to use a different shader I edited the mesh and outlined the tattoo using the knife then repaired the mesh by hand to ensure that all the cuts were made into triangles. I then UV mapped the inside to the tattoo material and the outside mapped to the main texture. (Just to save some hassle you can move a vertex without stretching the texture by doubletapping G with a vertex selected)

If you don't need a separate shader and have the extra room on the main texture you could also uv map to the logo edited onto an unused section on the main texture.