1. Hi! Welcome to VRCat.club. This forum is now obsolete with the release of the official Ask VRChat forums. Please go there instead! Over time, this forum will be set to read only, and eventually removed. Move your threads and content! https://ask.vrchat.com/

Avatar Does Not Upload due to 'Compiling Errors' (Using Linux)

Discussion in 'Avatars' started by Ankhean, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Ankhean

Ankhean Member

Hi all,

Summary of text below: Are the 'compiling errors' when I try to upload my avatar due to using Linux, or to a badly organized workspace filesystem, or something else?

I have managed to create mostly from scratch my first avatar by importing a MakeHuman model into Blender 2.82, modifying it with Cats Blender Plugin, importing into Unity 19.4.28, and carefully following the instructions on VRchat's Avatar guide and in this Youtube video. He's a good looking dude who follows all the rules: Excelent performance rating and only 22086 polygons according to VRC SDK control panel. However, when I click 'Build & Publish', I get 124 error messages in the console and a brief message telling me there are compiling errors.

I am using a Linux based operating system on my rig (Ubuntu 19.10), and have been mostly pleased with the results. I have managed to successfully run SteamVR, VRchat, an htc Vive, and the Unity3D version called for by VRC. I feel like I'm so close to finally having my own avatars and worlds.
    Still, I see that Unity uses C# scripts. I understand C# is a proprietary Microsoft property, which makes me wonder if my machine can do them. And at ~$140 for the download, Windows is not really an option for me, as is the case with a lot of folks right now.

But I also wonder if due to my innexperience using Unity I might have kludged up the workspaces file systems.
    Or maybe there's a checkbox I need to untick somewhere...

If it is due to C# scripts that hate Linux, there might be something I can use called VS Code. I should report back here after I figure out what that is and how it's utilized.

As I said, so very, very close to success, hopefully.

2. Ankhean

Ankhean Member

A new lead.

Perhaps VS code is not what I need, but MonoDevelop. Mono seems to be pre-installed in Unity 2017.4.28, but needs to be switched on.
    In Unity, at the top, I click on the edit tab, then select Preferences. On the left of the Preferences window, I select External Tools, and then for External Script Editor I select 'MonDevelop (built-in)'

We are not ready, however. When I try to upload the avatar now, the same thing happens: "compiling error".

Unity Preferences window does have a button that says 'Download MonoDevelop Installer', but when I click on it, my browser opens up and error page: "This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below."

Not sure where to go from here.
    Any Suggestions?

3. Ankhean

Ankhean Member

Well, someone very close to me has expressed interest in collaborating to help make avatars and worlds, and he uses a Windows computer, so that might be my solution.

I.e., create a Unity Scene file of my avatar, then send it to him for final upload.

It's a shame that there is so little support for Linux users from either Unity or VRchat.

4. Ankhean

Ankhean Member

Update:

Whelp, the solution was simple. Created a new partition on my hard drive, and installed Windows. Blech! My computer feels dirty now, and I had to pay $140 dollars for the pleasure.
    Anyway, that seems to be what I had to do. If there really was a simple solution not involving M$, I would still do it. I would brick over that other partition and try to forget it's there.

A large part of why I'm writing this is so that others who have had the same problems that I have will be able to find this info and maybe avoid the troubles I have.

If anyone knows what I could have done that would have saved some money, let's hear it! :)

5. Eremite

Eremite Member

VRChat:
    Eremite
    The joys of trying to get Windows software working on Linux.

Looks like you already got it figured out, but my initial thought was to just install VirtualBox fire up a VM and install the free trial of Windows 10 on it for running Unity in. ;p