1. Welcome to VRCat! Please note that this message board is not related to VRChat in any official manner. It is run entirely by the community, and moderated by the community. Any content present has not been reviewed by VRChat moderators or staff. Your use of these forums implies understanding of this message. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice

Cubed's Toon Shaders

Discussion in 'Tutorials and Tools' started by cubedparadox, Dec 10, 2017.

1. cubedparadox

cubedparadox New Member
    VRChat Team

VRChat:
    cubedparadox
    A compilation of custom shaders built for VRChat.
    You can get the latest release here
    Shaders
    - Flat Lit Toon
    --This is the primary shader used for toon/anime avatars in VRChat.
    --It looks similar to an unlit shader under good neutral lighting, but responds to full ambient, realtime, and baked lighting. Has several outline modes, and is single passed for performance.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    -Unlit Shadowed
    -Flat Lit Toon Rainbow
    -Flat Lit Toon Distance Fade
    -Simple Gradient Fade
    (See more details about the other shaders here: https://github.com/cubedparadox/Cubeds-Unity-Shaders )

GREENCAT, Mr.Crane, Desaan and 10 others like this.
  2. Trav

Trav New Member

VRChat:
    Deputycarl1
    Quick question when applying the Rainbow shader when i apply it to my many models for VrChat they all just appear black. Very first time using a custom shader like this but is there any way to fix it. I'm sure i'm just missing something and being dumb.

3. Desaan

Desaan New Member

VRChat:
    Desaan
    I love your shaders cubedparadox! I was hoping to ask if anyone knew how I could duplicate a copy of your shaders so I could have some no cull versions as well the originals to use of the same model. I've had some issues in Unity because of backface culling on numerous textures and I've tried duplicating your ones with the no cull edit but for some reason it edits the original too. I'd just like two versions that I could apply for when I run into this issue.

I used V.Studio to make the necessary changes, working now :)

#3 Desaan, Dec 25, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  4. Trejkaz

Trejkaz New Member

Whenever I'm using the Flat Lit Toon shader on an avatar, it causes my character's rendering to glitch - one of my eyes sees her in one position and the other sees her in a different position, so it looks a bit like I'm seeing two slightly faded copies of the avatar. I can see this in both the avatar selection screen and on my own hands in 1st person view. I have no idea if other players can see it yet, but it doesn't show up in mirrors. I've also never seen anyone else's avatar doing it.

Switching back to the standard shader made it go back to normal.

I haven't yet tried other shaders in the pack or diddling with the settings, this is just on the default settings after changing all my materials to the shader in question.

Edit: Now other people have said they see the same thing, so I guess that rules out my graphics card.

Edit: Now I've fixed it - I took a zip from someone else who had it working, dropped that in and their copy worked. So I checked that copy into my source control, but as far as the diff shows, the only difference was they had the addition files in Media and UnityChan got updated. So I have no idea what was wrong with the original copy I had, but now it's working fine I guess, so I'll just hope it stays that way.

#4 Trejkaz, Jan 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  5. lloadead

lloadead New Member

Can you please provide the Amplify Shader Files ? DL link doesn't work in github :(

6. lloadead

lloadead New Member

Can you Share the link ?

7. Trejkaz

Trejkaz New Member

I don't have a link.

But I recently encountered someone else having the exact same problem I had, and suggested that they shut down Unity, delete the Library folder and let Unity recreate it, and apparently that fixed it for them. So I get the feeling that this is some obscure Unity bug where it compiles the shader incorrectly only sometimes, and once you have the corrupt one all the avatars you upload which use the shader will be boned until you recompile it.

8. ClinicalDepression

ClinicalDepression New Member

VRChat:
    clinicaldepression
    So I am not too good with making models in Unity but I have several friends who are and they love the Flat Lit Toon shader. Everyone seems to, actually. Almost every model and even map uses it. However, I encounter issues with it in VRChat where, if too many models are using it at once in an area, the textures on them disappear entirely and I can't see them. I have to restart the game and just hope it doesn't happen again, as sometimes it seems entirely random. I was told this was an issue with only my graphics card in particular, as my friend has the same card and has this issue as well. Not sure where he heard that, though.

It is a cheaper one, I guess. Trying to save money, we both have a Radeon RX 580 series. Apparently when the shader was last updated, this problem started occurring. I really do love the shader and how it looks, so I'm hoping I can get some answers or help here, other than "get a better graphics card," as that's out of the question right now.

9. Soulyy

Soulyy New Member

VRChat:
    ~Soul~
    When you are in the Inspector of your selected material, you will see 3 things you need to set. Saturation, value, and speed. Saturation and value can just be set to 1, for speed I personally like 3, but you can mess around with it. Now at the top of unity click the play button the the colors will unfold right before your eyes. Hope that helped <3!

Here's an example:

Attached Files:

10. Mica

Mica New Member

VRChat:
    Deadly Pounce
    Might there be a way to color or tint shadows?

My model loses a certain amount of her liveliness when transferred from Blender's custom ramp shader into Unity's cube shader. Will try to see if increasing the texture's saturation may help the skin but feel colored shadows would greatly help too.

[​IMG]

11. TheDandyGay

TheDandyGay New Member

VRChat:
    TheDandyGay
    How do I add this shader pack to my unity so I can set the materials to it? Sorry if that's really vague, basically I don't know how or where to place the shader.zip into my unity files so that I can select it in the shader tab.

12. TCL987

TCL987 New Member

VRChat:
    TCL987
    Cubed's Toon Shaders have been updated to 0.25 with fixes for the ghosty images on Flat Lit Toon Lite, and separate versions for each render type (Opaque, Cutout, and Transparent).