1. Welcome to VRCat! Please note that this message board is not related to VRChat in any official manner. It is run entirely by the community, and moderated by the community. Any content present has not been reviewed by VRChat moderators or staff. Your use of these forums implies understanding of this message. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice

Distorted pose during Idle Animation

Discussion in 'Avatars' started by FailureKai, Jan 18, 2019.

1. FailureKai

FailureKai New Member

I'm working on making a sort of hand-puppet type avatar, with a little zelda-style fairy attached to one hand and the rest of the avatar invisible. I'd like to have the wings slowly flapping at all times, and I can make that happen just fine, but there's one really confusing problem.

So long as I have the wing-flapping animation set as the idle animation in the animation controller, the position of the fairy-hand gets distorted whenever im not moving. The wing flapping animation plays just fine, but I am unable to raise the fairy above approx waist-height; it moves around freely if i crouch down and keep my hand closer to the ground, but as soon as i stand back up it seems unable to follow.

I can't see what's going on exactly due to the rest of the avatar being invisible, but what I suspect is happening is that for some reason the avatar's shoulder is getting glued/crumpled to the floor whenever it's idle, causing my normal hand height to be above what it can reach.

The really strange thing is that this distortion goes away completely (but the wing flapping continues just fine!) so long as the avatar is in any sort of moving animation, regardless of whether I actually have anything at all set in the movement animation fields on the animation controller.

Does anyone have any experience with similar problems, or suggestions on what parts of my avatar to start digging into to better understand the problem? It may be something very simple, this is my first time messing with Unity's animation features.