1. Welcome to VRCat! Please note that this message board is not related to VRChat in any official manner. It is run entirely by the community, and moderated by the community. Any content present has not been reviewed by VRChat moderators or staff. Your use of these forums implies understanding of this message. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice

Emote and Gesture Toggle Boilerplate

Discussion in 'Tutorials and Tools' started by lindesu, Oct 5, 2018.

1. lindesu

lindesu New Member

VRChat:
    lindesu
    I've been frustrated by the packages showing up for toggles which try to emulate toggleprops too much(with it's flaws intact), or are too complicated for what they are(you don't need a script and an interface for just emote toggles -_-)

So here is my own package meant to be simple and readable. Does both emote and gesture toggles, with examples and instructions, and raw boilerplate files for people who know what they are doing.

#1 lindesu, Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  2. lindesu

lindesu New Member

VRChat:
    lindesu
  3. Xiexe

Xiexe Member

VRChat:
    Xiexe
    I think you may be missing the point of why my script exists.

It's faster, and way less tedious to set up.

Our package includes all of the boilerplate files you would need to do it manually. We didn't scrap that.

The script simply automates what you're expecting people know how to do, in a way that's easier to understand.

Unsure why you would would be frustrated with people trying to make anything easier on the community.

4. lindesu

lindesu New Member

VRChat:
    lindesu
    I'm not frustrated by any attempt at making things easier for people. Just your package, and other packages I've reviewed. I didn't miss the point of anything, just have different preferences and my package is focused on those preferences. I expect different people to use my package and with a different workflow than they would use yours. I'm frustrated by the structure of your package, the focus on emote toggles, the readmes, and the way usage is framed through the script/interface-- not by you or your effort. I have the personal opinion that these elements are less enlightening for someone who wants to learn to make use of animators for avatar state management, and inconvenient if I wanted to use the package to make my own custom systems that do more than off/on. The abstraction with the scripts and interface and all the intents there just get in my way. It's fine they exist for people, it's just not something I would import. My package is for teaching emote and gesture toggles, creating custom toggle systems from scratch, and is what I import when I need resources for building things or when teaching another person something. I have any emotions at all about toggle packages because of the amount of people I've needed to coach in particular about toggles, and the horror machines I've seen built using packages and conventions not made for purpose.

#4 lindesu, Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    Xiexe likes this.
  5. Xiexe

Xiexe Member

VRChat:
    Xiexe

I'm all for teaching others how these things work - however, I've found most people would rather have something just work for them rather than learning how to do it themselves.

You wouldn't believe how many questions I've gotten about my shader for example, about things that you can find by hitting a question mark button on the GUI for it, or reading the readme file.

That being said - I will personally keep working on the script to make it capable of more things (Gesture stuff, for instance) - and from the next release on will include tools to learn what the script is doing and exactly how the system works.

That way, if people want to learn, they have the option to do so.

I am also of the same mentality that I would like people to know how to do these things, however, to me, what comes first, is having a functioning system in place that can be used with relative ease.

That being said, I don't want you to think I'm bashing you or anything - I appreciate what you're trying to do.

lindesu likes this.