1. Welcome to VRCat! Please note that this message board is not related to VRChat in any official manner. It is run entirely by the community, and moderated by the community. Any content present has not been reviewed by VRChat moderators or staff. Your use of these forums implies understanding of this message. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice

Glowing Eyes question

Discussion in 'Avatars' started by K.T., Jan 31, 2018.

1. K.T.

K.T. New Member

VRChat:
    K.T.
    So how do you create them ?
    Can you do this in Unity or it must be created in Blender ?
    Its a particle or emission effect or something ?

Somebody pls help >.<

2. Endymion

Endymion Member

VRChat:
    Endymion
    Those are questions that can be answered just by doing a quick search.

There are already a lot of tutorials online on how to make things glow in Unity. You should try those first. Afterwards, you can ask questions again when something doesn't work out the way you want it to be.

Also, attach a screenshot of the effect you want to achieve. It would make it a lot easier for us to give insightful answers.

#2 Endymion, Jan 31, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  3. K.T.

K.T. New Member

VRChat:
    K.T.
    After some tutorials, still dont know how to do it.

Plan is to make this cybernetic eye to glow (+ if possible to make a light effect that casts a shadow)

I was trying to create a object that is transparent with emission material but with no positive effect.
    In some Unity video examples i notice that model have separate material for eyes. But my model have just one Color Atlas material, so I think its a problem here ?

Attached Files:

4. Endymion

Endymion Member

VRChat:
    Endymion
    In Unity's terms, I think the effect you want is called Bloom:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/PostProcessing-Bloom.html

To see the effect, you need the Post-Processing stack from the Asset Store, attach a post-processing behavior script to a reference camera, then create a post-processing profile for it. Make sure to adjust the settings and also the emission amount on your eye to really see the effect in Unity Editor.

One downside though is that Bloom is a scene-specific effect. It is something that the creator of a world should apply to the scene before users can see it. This is primarily the reason why in some worlds your eyes will glow, but in other worlds it won't.

You can use a separate material for the eyes with their own set of textures which makes it easier to adjust parameters. Or, you can use the single texture atlas you mentioned you're using, create a proper emission texture from it that only affects the eyes, then plug that texture into the Emission channel.

You can also experiment with particle effects. I haven't tried this approach though. Try creating an alpha texture that has the shape of the eye glow you want, use a Particle Additive or Alpha Blended Shader, then adjust the Particle System settings to see if you can make something work.

If you want the glowing eye to cast shadows, attach a light source to it with shadow casting turned on. Just be careful with the radius / range. In dense environments with a lot of users, light sources attached to avatars can make the frame rate drop noticeably.

#4 Endymion, Feb 4, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  5. K.T.

K.T. New Member

VRChat:
    K.T.
    Ok somehow it worked. I copied my Atlas material , then black out it besides the red eye , and insert it in emissive material.
    So it glow in dark now !! yay :D

I was trying to add this Post-Processing bloom effect. After adding script to main camera and creating profile i can see that whole scene and model get changed when i play around with bloom but cant see any effect in game . I Was testing this on Avatar testing world so i dunno if this world have activated bloom effect.