1. Hi! Welcome to VRCat.club. This forum is now obsolete with the release of the official Ask VRChat forums. Please go there instead! Over time, this forum will be set to read only, and eventually removed. Move your threads and content! https://ask.vrchat.com/

Issues assigning MMD gestures

Discussion in 'Avatars' started by Kemonowolf, Apr 12, 2020.

1. Kemonowolf

Kemonowolf New Member

So I've gone through several tutorials on YouTube on how to import an avatar into VRchat originally built for MMD and I've gotten quite good at it. The one odd thing is all the tutorials ignore all the gestures most MMD avatars come with. I was wondering how I can use these gestures in VRchat, such as surprised, laugh, happy close eyes, etc... the things I see other avatars doing.

I've looked up tutorials on doing this, but most are on creating your own gestures such as whipping out a sword (something every tutorial seems to use as an example lol). Except I want to use the default animations in the MMD, as seen here:
    upload_2020-4-12_14-31-54.png
    How do I do this? I have duplicated the CustomOverride from the VRC SDK and assigned animations I found in a YT tutorial (not sure this is right)
    customoverride.jpg
    So that's great, but that isn't using the built-in MMD animations (Maybe I'm just super confused on the whole concept.

Also, do I need to assign the avatar to the Animator controller? I have no idea.
    animator-avatar.jpg
    If anyone knows a good tutorial for this, please let me know. Thank you!

2. Eremite

Eremite Member

VRChat:
    Eremite
    Duplicate your avatar, create an animation on the duplicate, then hit Record.
    On the duplicate avatar, select "Body" (or whatever your Skinned Mesh Renderer is with the shape keys you want)
    Expand the "Shape Keys" dropdown on the skinned mesh renderer. You should be able to change the values of them in there and record it as an animation.

You may want to play around with the values before recording changing the values. Just be sure you set them all back to 0 before you upload.