1. Hi! Welcome to VRCat.club. This forum is now obsolete with the release of the official Ask VRChat forums. Please go there instead! Over time, this forum will be set to read only, and eventually removed. Move your threads and content! https://ask.vrchat.com/

Lip sync not working

Discussion in 'Support' started by Threydan, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Threydan

Threydan New Member

VRChat:
    cryser
    I am trying to get my character to have lip sync but it won't work. I added a jaw bone to the character and added mouth movements to it in blender. When added to unity all seems fine and when I go into muscle and settings I can open and close the jaw using that slider. Then in the avatar descriptor when I auto detect the lip sync it goes to "Jaw Flap blend shape" which is strange and when I select "jaw flap bone", select the jaw bone and then import the character to VRchat, the character will just have his mouth halfway open and there still isn't lip sync. I am really inexperienced with unity so I have no idea on what to do.

If anyone knows how to deal with this problem please help as I have tried getting his mouth to move with mine for 3 days now. I am not sure what files are necessary to be able to help me with this problem or if the answer is already known and there is no need for any files to be sent, so if you need any please ask.

2. -Fizz-

-Fizz- Member

VRChat:
    -Fizz-
    I have the same issue when looking into the mirror, but other people can actually see it moving. If you you can live with that, you should probably ask someone to check for you whether it is actually moving or not :)

As for the "open mouth" issue: you can adjust the jaw bone in the rig settings in unity to be slightly more upwards. It might look a bit stupid in the rig settings, but trust me it will work out.

3. Threydan

Threydan New Member

VRChat:
    cryser
    Thanks i'll give it a try tommorow.

4. Lilithe Lotor

Lilithe Lotor New Member

VRChat:
    lilithelotor
    This is wild. You mean the blend shape doesn't animate in mirrors at all? I was running up against this problem last night.

I tried a bone attached 100% to the bottom jaw / tongue.

I tried a blend shape attached to the bottom jaw / tongue.

It didn't budge an inch and the fingers and other gestures work fine.

5. Saoirse Meow

Saoirse Meow New Member

VRChat:
    ~ Saoirse ~
    If you're using MMD models, do NOT use the Jaw Flap bone; it'll only cause problems. Instead, use CATS to create visemes (it's pretty straight-forward) and unassign the jaw flap bone in Unity. In the VRC_Avatar Descriptor, change the default (Default/Jaw Flap Bone) to Viseme Blend Shape and assign the following:

Lilithe Lotor likes this.
  6. Lilithe Lotor

Lilithe Lotor New Member

VRChat:
    lilithelotor
    Yeah I found out about CATS and I've been using it all the time now, even for stuff that's not for VRC that I want to optimize. If you work with character models at all it's a really nice tool.

Also Visemes are a lot better than a jaw flap bone because you can set separate blend shapes for the mouth shapes. CATS only uses 3 different shapes but even that makes it a lot more life-like.