1. Welcome to VRCat! Please note that this message board is not related to VRChat in any official manner. It is run entirely by the community, and moderated by the community. Any content present has not been reviewed by VRChat moderators or staff. Your use of these forums implies understanding of this message. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice

Make my own selfie cam?

Discussion in 'General' started by WanderingYouth, Mar 11, 2018.

1. WanderingYouth

VRChat:
    Mizurahi
    I saw some videos where some players have made their own selfie cams into their model. Does anyone have a tutorial or know how to make one? It doesn't seem like Google and Youtube is giving me any good results when I'm looking up this topic.

2. Diggedog2

Diggedog2 New Member

VRChat:
    Diggedog2
  3. internetofmine

VRChat:
    fhtagn
    What are the funcitonalities of the selfie camera? Can it actually take photos? Or only shows image on itself?

4. WanderingYouth

VRChat:
    Mizurahi
    It's a mirror, but you have it take a still picture. I've seen avatars with like make a smartphone that acts as a camera and once they take a picture, the images appears on the avatars other hand like a poster.

To be more precise it's exactly like the camera mirror in the avatar testing world.

internetofmine likes this.
  5. NeroReborn

NeroReborn New Member

VRChat:
    NeroReborn
    It's weird how there aren't a lot of tutorials out there for this game.

6. internetofmine

VRChat:
    fhtagn
    I guess they just add camera without AudioListener and connect it to a render texture thingie that comes with the SDK (forgot the name, and not at home right now to check). Then probably do some nifty animation with it to make it look as if it was in a hand?

7. DubyaDude

DubyaDude New Member

VRChat:
    DubyaDude
    Been trying to figure this out. I got the render texture working through a tutorial I found (Bottom of post), but for some reason it only seems to work on my end. Like, The camera + screen works perfectly fine on my end, but when someone else looks through it, they just see a black screen. Anyone got any ideas?

8. Lhun

Lhun Member

VRChat:
    Lhun
    render textures are a local only effect, but you're on the right track. ;)

There currently isn't a way to use vrc mirror or additional unity camera reflections on avatars because of the load they cause for everyone else.
    The thing you need to do is essentially freeze the output of a camera object. It's great for "polaroid" type cameras.
    people watching a livestream and locally you can see it yourself though, go check out mah boi rogue shadow on youtube.

Additional cameras in Unity require additional render passes for all objects in the scene which is a costly operation, so it is understandable why they are disabled across clients.

In a world however nbd:

I can't remember if it was whoops or whoever did something with a local only setup effect the other day that spawned a one sided texture that froze on the last frame when you despawned the object so you could show people the result.
    I've actually been contemplating if I want to do something similar soon.

DubyaDude likes this.
  9. Pale

Pale New Member

VRChat:
    PaleWhitePrints
    Here you go. This a base of how the code works, you can probably figure it out with this. Good luck :)!

DubyaDude and internetofmine like this.
  10. Lhun

Lhun Member

VRChat:
    Lhun
    So I just did this, in a really clever way, and realtime video works. I'll probably make a tutorial today.

[​IMG]

Pale and DubyaDude like this.
  11. DubyaDude

DubyaDude New Member

VRChat:
    DubyaDude
    Oof, I've been extremely busy as of late with university, but wow this is a lot <3.

@Lhun Ohhh, that's why. Jeez I was trying to figure it out for god knows how long. Also, never thought of doing a selfie stick like that, seems interesting, I think I'll try to explore that when I get the chance. And yes, it was Whoops with the phone w/ the one-sided screenshot texture. Video:

Can't wait for that tutorial! Really helps.

@Pale Seems interesting just skimming through it. Seems like a better screencap feature too with higher res and all. Not sure if VRChat would allow it though. Correct me if I'm wrong (still extremely new to VRChat) but I don't think scripts are allowed in VRChat as of yet?

12. Pale

Pale New Member

VRChat:
    PaleWhitePrints
    @DubyaDude I think since it's a item you could allow it since the snail marker has some coding on it I believe and it's just hidden through an animation.

@Lhun I'm interested to see your process

I might search around the web more to see what I can find when I have time.

13. DubyaDude

DubyaDude New Member

VRChat:
    DubyaDude
    @Pale hmm, not sure if that screenshot feature would work though where it would directly save the screenshot. That would be cool though instead of dealing with the low-quality screenshots when using VR.

@Lhun Sorry for seeming like I'm bugging you but any progress on that tutorial?

14. Pale

Pale New Member

VRChat:
    PaleWhitePrints
    @DubyaDude Did some further research and found out you can't do custom scripts so I'm going to see if I can find a similar way to do something like this soon, when I have some free time that is haha

15. WanderingYouth

VRChat:
    Mizurahi
    Thank you very much. Sadly, I have no programming experience so the later portion where you actually save the screenshot is going hinder me quite a bit.

16. WanderingYouth

VRChat:
    Mizurahi
    Hmm, nevermind. The recent update now gives everyone with their VR headset a self cam that can take screen shots and stream video.

I am loving the camera, so far. The only problem is the buttons are rather hard to touch and so is the selfie stick attachment. I wish you can actually move the camera lens once it's detached from the viewing screen instead of having to position the screen and then having to detach the lens. I got some pretty nice photos of some maps and other things.
    VRChat_1920x1080_2018-04-26_05-58-41.878.png VRChat_1920x1080_2018-04-26_01-12-20.045.png VRChat_1920x1080_2018-04-26_05-55-59.239.png VRChat_1920x1080_2018-04-26_05-57-49.124.png VRChat_1920x1080_2018-04-26_05-58-15.959.png VRChat_1920x1080_2018-04-26_06-02-24.242.png VRChat_1920x1080_2018-04-26_06-04-47.030.png VRChat_1920x1080_2018-04-26_06-06-13.177.png VRChat_1920x1080_2018-04-26_06-11-17.259.png VRChat_1920x1080_2018-04-26_06-11-52.136.png

17. eN7ity

eN7ity New Member

VRChat:
    eN7ity
    The camera thing is not that hard to do, it uses a render texture and a camera that gets enabled. The only complicated this is to get the camera to work for everyone but once you figure it our its pretty easy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]