1. Welcome to VRCat! Please note that this message board is not related to VRChat in any official manner. It is run entirely by the community, and moderated by the community. Any content present has not been reviewed by VRChat moderators or staff. Your use of these forums implies understanding of this message. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice

Avatars Material Combiner Blender Addon (2.1.1.2)

Discussion in 'Tutorials and Tools' started by shotariya, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Kamicola

Kamicola New Member

VRChat:
    Cozy Cola
    I'm having this same exact issue. I've tried manually removing material combiner to no avail.
    Hopefully, I won't have to try reinstalling blender as that's always a scary thing to do sometimes.
    I don't know very much when it comes to scripting, but maybe when I work up the courage which is unlikely to happen I'll try to go digging via the googles and figure out what's wrong.

2. shotariya

shotariya Member

VRChat:
    shotariya
    On the screenshot is an old version, in the new it or work or says that need to restart blender, so make sure you are using latest version, also addon files to delete for the fresh install are at %AppData%\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.79\scripts\addons\material-combiner-addon-master\
    so make sure you removing right one
    if that will not work for you, contact me on Discord, I'll help you to manually install Pillow library for blender

3. goblox

goblox Member

VRChat:
    goblox
    I'm really liking how the material combiner works, and have lots of ideas of how to integrate it in to my workflow. However, I'm having a bit of a dilemma in deciding how to handle things such as normal and emissions maps. One thought was to go through each material, one at a time, and disable the emissions and normal textures for the first run through, to produce the diffuse, then another only enabling the emissions textures, and then another one for normals, etc...etc... but this seems rather tedious. I'm curious if anyone else has come up with a more efficient strategy, or if shotariya was perhaps planning on making a version of this that allows a kind of master/global toggle/mute for each kind of texture for each run through?

Update: So I see now, from what I can gather, that the "layering" feature shotariya has implemented allows specifying various textures for each kind of atlas you're trying to create. I think that's great, however, having to hunt for each image seems a little unnecessary, and tedious, especially if you've already specified emissions, normals, etc, for each of the materials you're combining.

#43 goblox, Jan 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  4. Nyrakav

Nyrakav New Member

Hey, I'm getting ready you publish and avatar world so I'm trying to optimize the avatars in the world, but I keep getting an error when trying to save an atlas.[​IMG]

5. shotariya

shotariya Member

VRChat:
    shotariya
    Hi, looks like image library can't open that file, try to move image file to another disk or rename image to english or re-save with any image editing program/online, and be sure that image exist by this path

#45 shotariya, Feb 3, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  6. svonsy

svonsy New Member

VRChat:
    Svonsy
    I can't use this addon. When i tap combine my model become white and i dont see uv file in folder. what am i doing wrong?

7. shotariya

shotariya Member

VRChat:
    shotariya
    Hello, try to combine through MatCombiner panel with unchecked Compression, you need to click Continue on the panel, select materials you want to combine and uncheck Compression property, then click Combine

8. -winter-

-winter- New Member

VRChat:
    ahe3
    this sounds like a big improvement, but how do i actually use it

9. Iwannalookatattachments

Cannot get this work work in 2.79 even running as admin. It just says "installation complete! please restart blender" I have installed as instructed, removed, redownloaded, close between attempts, restart multiple times, save user preferences, not saving preferences and it still just says "installation complete! please restart blender".

"installation complete! please restart blender"

10. Llyod Irving

Llyod Irving Member

I run into a problem many times.
    I want to exclude the material for the eyes and the face blush, so i can give them a different shader then the rest of the model.
    But the material combiner still combines those materials with the rest. ( yes i took the the check mark out)
    Is there a known error, where it sometimes has problems actually excluding stuff?

I even assigned a new material and different named texture to it, still combines it with the rest.

11. Tallest

Tallest New Member

VRChat:
    Tallest
    I installed it today following each instruction and I'm having an issue right out of the box, as soon as I click the "Save Atlas to.." button I get this error.

Attached Files:

shotariya likes this.
  12. shotariya

shotariya Member

VRChat:
    shotariya
    Hi, select mesh on the scene with right mouse button and change mode (at the bottom of window) to Object, after that it should be fixed ( if not, open file by that path "%AppData%\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.79\scripts\addons\material-combiner-addon-master\operators\combining\combiner.py" with text editor and remove 58 line "bpy.ops.object.mode_set(mode='OBJECT')" , but after that when you saving atlas be sure you are in Object mode)

Tallest likes this.
  13. 09williamsad

09williamsad New Member

VRChat:
    09williamsa
    Version 2.0.3.3, blender 2.79b, Windows 10 64 bit.
    When i click the "Combine" button once materials are selected it does not create a texture or ask me where to make one, it combines the UVs and materials but it uses the texture of the selected material for the new material.
    I tried backdating to a number of versions but the same thing happens.

I tried combining the materials on another model and it worked but I cannot figure out why.

Troubleshooting tried:
    Running as admin
    different versions
    other model

Update
    Figured it out, I exported to fbx with a new folder so it could not find the textures as it seeing them from blender memory.

#53 09williamsad, Mar 29, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    shotariya likes this.
  14. Noctorock

Noctorock New Member

Hi, having trouble getting the texture to apply properly to the model once I've moved it over from blender to unity.

Im using the image file created from using the Combine option, and when I drag it onto the model in Unity, it turns into that, and as far as I know thats all you need to do to apply textures. Im unsure if it's because of the add-on, but any ideas as to why this is happening? Note: this is my first time messing with both Unity and Blender, so its very possible (and likely) I could have messed something up or not done something correctly.

EDIT: Ok so I kinda figured out what happened. I had exported the model using the CATS add-on in Blender FIRST before combining the textures, and I guess that fixed most of it?

However, it did not fix the eyes as you can see in the new image. Maybe this has to do with the eye texture having multiple different eyes or something? (Sorry if this isn't the place to talk about this!)

Attached Files:

#54 Noctorock, Apr 8, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  15. Eremite

Eremite Member

VRChat:
    Eremite
    Just tested out the multi-combine to generate atlassed specular/alpha/normal maps and it worked pretty nicely. :3

For anyone confused about how to do it:

* When selecting materials to combine, click the new Multicombine button.
    * There's an image of one of the textures near the top of the main menu. Clicking this lets you switch between different materials.
    * Click + icon on the right for each new texture you need to atlas. (in my case 3 times for Normal/Specular/Alpha)
    * Click the Add Image button and select your additional maps. Repeat this *in the same order* for each material.
    * Click Combine.

LegacyPanda and shotariya like this.
  16. tawnos178

tawnos178 New Member

I'm having this same problem. Installed version 2.0.3.3, but no amount of restarting allows the addon to be used. Just always see "Installation complete! Please restart blender."

shotariya likes this.
  17. shotariya

shotariya Member

VRChat:
    shotariya
    To fix that you need to manually install Pillow imaging library through pip inside blender environment, if you are using Windows you need to run command line with administrative privileges and download that file, then write to the console
    "Disc:\...\Blender\2.79\python\bin\python.exe" "Disc:\...\get-pip.py" --user
    after pip installation need to write
    "Disc:\...\Blender\2.79\python\bin\python.exe" -m pip install Pillow --user --upgrade
    after that combiner should start working

For Mac:
    1. cd /Applications/Blender.app/Contents/Resources/2.79/python
    2. wget https://bootstrap.pypa.io/get-pip.py
    3. ./bin/python3.5m ./get-pip.py --prefix /Applications/Blender.app/Contents/Resources/2.79/python
    4. ./bin/python3.5m bin/pip3 install Pillow
    Notice: Firewall should be disabled.

#57 shotariya, May 30, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  18. tawnos178

tawnos178 New Member

This worked. Thank you very much.

shotariya likes this.
  19. randrana

randrana New Member

this was my stuck point, so I share for someone who stuck same point.

If you have .blend file which packed texture or anything all in one, and you don't have the correct directly,
    "save atlas to" is not work correctly.
    no file operation menu is appeared, and your character has just merged map, but no merged texrure image(the character looks white or broken texture. it refer just old texture).

In that case, you need extract those texture file to out side.
    File->External Data and unpack to your desire directly.

shotariya likes this.
  20. Quote_2004

Quote_2004 New Member

VRChat:
    Quote_2004
    This has been a really useful tool for me, but in the current model I am trying to use this tool on the textures come out a little dark. Any help?