1. Hi! Welcome to VRCat.club. This forum is now obsolete with the release of the official Ask VRChat forums. Please go there instead! Over time, this forum will be set to read only, and eventually removed. Move your threads and content! https://ask.vrchat.com/

Avatars Material Combiner Blender Addon (2.1.1.7)

Discussion in 'Tutorials and Tools' started by shotariya, Aug 18, 2018.

1. LegacyPanda

LegacyPanda New Member

VRChat:
    ~~
    Any plans for 2.8? Really looking forward to this to be ported to 2.8 (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

shotariya likes this.
  2. shotariya

shotariya Member

VRChat:
    shotariya
    In development, an update will be soon.
    Edit: Updated.

#62 shotariya, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    LegacyPanda likes this.
  3. BlindiN

BlindiN New Member

VRChat:
    BlindiN
    The link on top still downloads version 2.0.3.3. download file is named master, but it doesn't seem to be compatible with 2.8.

4. Rynobody

Rynobody New Member

VRChat:
    Rynobody
    Hey, I've been trying my damnedest to install the material combiner, but no matter how many times I try and add the addon in Blender it doesn't actually install. I've seen the earlier replies and attempted the get-pip.py fix, which successfully installs, but the combiner still won't show up in my addons list. I've restarted Blender and reinstalled the addon more times than I can count. Any ideas? Help is much appreciated!

5. wassssabii

wassssabii New Member

Hey, I'm a new here and I'm trying to install Pillow on my Mac with a blender version 2.79, installing automatically in the blender doesn't work and the problem with a manual installation is that in path ../python/bin I have only one file python3.5m and it doesn't do anything, I don't know what to do. Thank you for your help!

6. Art Zef

Art Zef New Member

VRChat:
    Kutyuska
    I have the same problem (Rynobody ). After click "Install Add-on from File..." button nothing happend. "Material Combiner" dont appeared in the addons list :(
    My specs (Blender 2.79b, Windows 10)

7. shotariya

shotariya Member

VRChat:
    shotariya
    Try to reinstall via that link. (https://github.com/Grim-es/material-combiner-addon/archive/master.zip)

8. shotariya

shotariya Member

VRChat:
    shotariya
    I don't have Mac so can't do tests. You can use blender 2.80 where's pip already included, otherwise try this method:
    1. cd /Applications/Blender.app/Contents/Resources/2.79/python
    2. wget https://bootstrap.pypa.io/get-pip.py
    3. ./bin/python3.5m ./get-pip.py --prefix /Applications/Blender.app/Contents/Resources/2.79/python
    4. ./bin/python3.5m bin/pip3 install Pillow

wassssabii likes this.
  9. Art Zef

Art Zef New Member

VRChat:
    Kutyuska
  10. Rynobody

Rynobody New Member

VRChat:
    Rynobody
  11. Ellumi

Ellumi New Member

VRChat:
    Ellumi
    i was wondering if anyone knew what causes this issue? no matter what blender project i try to use this addon in, this happens. it's been happening for a few months now, and even deleting both blender and the addon and freshly installing doesn't fix it.

Attached Files:

12. shotariya

shotariya Member

VRChat:
    shotariya
    For some reason this sometimes happens, try opening images that cause this issue with any image editor or web editor and re-save them.

13. waai

waai New Member

Seems with the enforced 2 pixel minimum gap between textures, material combiner produces worse results now, wasting space in the final texture sheet:

[​IMG]

Editing extend_types.py to set the minimum pixel gap to 0 has seemingly no adverse affects on the combiner and produces the same results as older versions of material combiner, so I'm not sure why the minimum pixel gap is enforced to 2.

14. Lyuma

Lyuma New Member

VRChat:
    Lyuma
    The following instructions worked for me on Blender 2.80 for Mac. Super easy once you know what to type in Terminal.
    Code:
    cd /Applications/Blender.app/Contents/Resources/2.80/python/
    bin/python3.7m -m pip install Pillow
    Now restart Blender.

That's it! no need to download get_pip or wget. Feel free to post here or discord me if you need help with Mac. My discord is #0781

shotariya likes this.
  15. Executeswain

Executeswain New Member

Everytime i try to enable material combiner 15668062196343040082702792082540.jpg it says this

16. BoxyBoB

BoxyBoB New Member

cia.png
    Alright, I'm stuck. I'm trying to optimize a model I want to put in but this tool, as slick as it seems like it should be, keeps spitting this error at me. I've tried just about every fix listed in the thread and none seem to stick. Here's the mess of text that it's spitting out at me currently. (Edit: Got this working once, but it made everything shiny, but at least all as one atlas, trying to go back and do it again, but, now it's just not working)

For people looking for fixes because you can't get it to recognize you've already installed Pillow and such, be sure to run the command line stuff mentioned by others after ensuring both Blender and Python's files have been swapped off of Read-Only. Windows 10 is such a headache now.

I also get this one after opening files that have already been saved as .blend's, or given me that first error.
    alsothis.png

Resolved:
    So, if you delete textures, you will get errors like this, and they are seemingly impossible to fix until you just, forget to do something you've been doing on every new start. It's because the program looks to find whatever meshes to that area, finds nothing, and panics.

#76 BoxyBoB, Aug 27, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  17. DrakoWerewolf

DrakoWerewolf New Member

VRChat:
    DrakoWerewolf
    Hi. When I try to combine the materials I get this error. The combiner makes combined normals and changes the UV mapping, but doesn't provide combined textures

Attached Files:

18. shotariya

shotariya Member

VRChat:
    shotariya
    Hi, are you using latest release of blender 2.8 or beta?

19. DrakoWerewolf

DrakoWerewolf New Member

VRChat:
    DrakoWerewolf
    Beta... Guess I need to update, huh?

shotariya likes this.
  20. DrakoWerewolf

DrakoWerewolf New Member

VRChat:
    DrakoWerewolf
    Unfortunately it didn't help. Error messages are gone, but it still doesn't give me combined textures, only normals get combined and then applied as textures.