1. Welcome to VRCat! Please note that this message board is not related to VRChat in any official manner. It is run entirely by the community, and moderated by the community. Any content present has not been reviewed by VRChat moderators or staff. Your use of these forums implies understanding of this message. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice

Microphone Detected - Yet Nobody Can Hear Me.

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lillythebear, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Lillythebear

Lillythebear New Member

VRChat:
    Lillythebear
    Hi everyone, up until a few days ago I have had no microphone issues. All of a sudden, nobody can hear me. VRChat is the only application that seems to not be working. I've confirmed that my microphone picks up audio in Windows, as well as Steam / Discord.

Headset: Windows Mixed Reality (Lenovo Explorer)
    Headphones / Mic: Razer Kraken 7.1 V2

I have tried seemingly everything and nothing seems to work. Here are a few steps I've done just to get it back online.

Confirm Device is selected in VRChat settings / Slider is all the way to the right / I'm not muted
    Reinstall Razer Synapse (Along with the drivers in Device Manager)
    Reinstall VRChat
    Check Privacy Settings to allow apps to access microphone
    Reinstalled the OS (My latest idea to fix)

After none of these worked I ended up reinstalling the OS, thinking it would be fixed. Same issues are still persisting. I am getting desperate and frustrated that something so simple is causing me so many issues. If anyone could help me out I would be really thankful, as I am running out of ideas :(.

2. SynLogic

SynLogic Member

VRChat:
    SynLogic
    You could try and disable all audio devices except the mic/speaker you're using for vrchat. Another thing you could try is routing your microphone through voicemeter and seeing if that has any effect.

3. Lillythebear

Lillythebear New Member

VRChat:
    Lillythebear
    Hi Syn! Downloading Voicemeter helped me and ironically not in the way you'd think XD.

When I was playing around with the settings I noticed that Voicemeter outputs at 441000 Hz. I realized I had set my microphone to 480000 Hz a few days ago when I was having mic troubles (I had an issue where my mic got trapped at 8000 Hz). As soon as I set the mic under Headset Microphone Properties --> Advanced --> Default Format to 44100 Hz, I hopped into desktop mode to test and my microphone was being picked up once again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So for future reference for anyone else who has problems like mine VRChat does not support 480000 Hz frequency. Instead try switching it to 44100 Hz, the difference in sample rate / bit depth is minimal between the two frequencys that you won't really notice a dip in quality.

Thank you again SynLogic!!! :D

SynLogic likes this.