1. Welcome to VRCat! Please note that this message board is not related to VRChat in any official manner. It is run entirely by the community, and moderated by the community. Any content present has not been reviewed by VRChat moderators or staff. Your use of these forums implies understanding of this message. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice

NICER SHADERS UNITY other than cubed

Discussion in 'Avatars' started by chankean, Feb 5, 2018.

1. chankean

chankean Member

Anyone know where to get nice shaders that are for unity?

Looking for something nicer than cubed's (mainly for anime char)

Any resource website that has nice shaders

There are nice mmd ones is there a way to bring them into unity

&

Im getting a vr set so

1. Im financially unstable
    1. Do u need a gtx 1070 or 1060 or 1080 for vr to run well right now i only hav a 780;(
    2. Besides oculus and vive are there any cheaper and good ones
    3. Any predictions when the prices go down

Thanks.

2. gugl

gugl New Member

VRChat:
    gugl
    1. 1060
    2. Windows mixed reality. Cheaper, but not as good.

3. Lhun

Lhun Member

VRChat:
    Lhun
    Actually better in some major ways and worse in others.

I have all three major headsets, a dk1, dk2, acer windows mixed reality (cheapest and worst example but it's still great) and a gear vr 2017.+daydream. I have xbox controllers and a steam controller too. One AMD Piledriver 9590 setup with a rx480 8gb and one Ryzen 1700 + 1080ti 11gb setup.

Windows mixed reality has nicer visuals and refined lenses in most cases, and performs better in native titles even if that title is also on steam - microsoft did a good job there. You can get some hiccups in WMR tracking hands because the camera needs to see them most of the time. It improves every day though. Physically and buttons the controllers are worse then touch but better than vive wands, likely will be worse than knuckles - but they don't work for long outside of field of view, which is fine once you get used to it, just swing your arms once and a while. On the upshot it's literally one usb 3 cable and one hdmi cable, that's a huge bonus.

Vive has better tracking, rift has a nicer headset design but worse tracking - but currently better controllers, and suffers from some performance issues in steam vr but only for a short while once valve updates the sdk - it essentially lags behind a few weeks. Tracking is in the middle of the three, and I would say on par with windows mixed reality now. Windows MR tracking is surprisingly good once you work out the quirks and it improves with every windows release.

One cool thing is being able to use WMR + vive in the same room. We mapped out my basement to 50/50, me in vive, ShifterKei in WMR and we can interact in vr and also in RL. It's really, really cool.

4. chankean

chankean Member

WMR + Vive ????:eek:???? huh what does that mean sry

5. MotoFckr9k

MotoFckr9k Member

You can probably stick to the GTX780. I dont know about vrchat in proximity to mirrors, but most other vrgames should run nicely. Most vrgames are very highly optimized. I would definetly try it with the 780 first. I used a 750ti for vr before and was satisfied in all games i tried other than vrchat. Also a 1060 is not much better than a 780, i would think that there wouldn't be any difference between the two in vrchat. Right now i am using a 1080 to play vrchat, which almost never even goes over 50% gpu usage. But yeah it probably won't make much sense to upgrade to a 1060 from a 780. http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB-vs-Nvidia-GTX-780/3639vs2164

Also I wouldn't think that vr headset prices will drop much since they seem pretty fair. 450€ for a high refresh oled screen, two good cameras, two high quality controllers, good headphones and microphone and the technology to link all this together seems like a pretty good deal for me.

#5 MotoFckr9k, Feb 5, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  6. Lhun

Lhun Member

VRChat:
    Lhun
    windows mixed reality :) sorry.

7. Lhun

Lhun Member

VRChat:
    Lhun
    That won't be true in games optimized in the future though, and if VRChat updates to dx12 x64 (I hope they do!) - Any dx12/vulcan game runs miles better on a native dx12/vulkan card then it does on an older card, even if pound for pound the older card is faster.

For example, serious sam VR runs better on a cheap RX470 than a 980GTX.

8. Lhun

Lhun Member

VRChat:
    Lhun
    Also to answer your first question: noenoe's shaders https://vrcat.club/threads/updated-2-2-18-noenoe-overlay-shaders.157/ can work as toon shaders entirely now since the last update, and
    https://vrcat.club/threads/silents-modified-material-shaders.84/ Silent's modified material shaders are pretty nice too.

One thing that is really, really nice is the fact that noe added instancing to that shader. It's brilliant. (the standard shaders have it too).
    By enabling instancing, unity uses GPU Instancing to draw (or render) multiple copies of the same Mesh at once, using a small number of draw calls. It is useful for drawing objects such as buildings, trees and grass, or other things that appear repeatedly in a Scene, like, for example, multiple copies of the same face mesh for layering out highlight materials. VRChat should consider making this a REQUIREMENT, as it would make it so all identical avatars and object any one user is rendering are called exactly once.

GPU Instancing only renders identical Meshes with each draw call, but each instance can have different parameters (for example, color or scale) to add variation and reduce the appearance of repetition.

GPU Instancing can reduce the number of draw calls used per Scene. This significantly improves the rendering performance of your project.

chankean likes this.
  9. MotoFckr9k

MotoFckr9k Member

I mean, i guess vulkan does not run on the 780 at all and a more modern graphics card generally runs more modern graphics technologies better, but vrchat does definetly not use any kind of fairly new technology for graphics rendering. If they were to update the game to dx12 (which will probably be way off) and the graphics card does not run direcxtx12 with good enough performance then it would maybe make sense to upgrade to a 1060. I dont think it makes any sense to throw that money out of the window for maybe running vrchat faster on dx12 in the future. Till directx12 comes around the cpu will most probably be his bottleneck anyways.
    His performance will get limited by his 780 in probably a good amount of situations, but it's not like the 1060 will not do that. Depending on his cpu he might not even be able to utilize his 780 fully in vrchat.

The 1060 is better than the 780, but it is 300 bucks down the drain for a very negledable amount of performance.
    It definetly doesn't make any sense to do that if you are "financially unstable".

chankean likes this.
  10. chankean

chankean Member

Yay Thank you for all your help ;) u deserve a like!!

11. Lhun

Lhun Member

VRChat:
    Lhun
    at this time I would have to agree on that front.

I suggested a while back to vrchat devs somewhere or another that it would be good if they released an updated client version but also kept the dx11 build too. That way people could get the best of both compatibility and performance - and everyone would slowly migrate to the new versions by updating their assets to work in it, allowing them to eventually discontinue the older client when they reach critical mass.

That's what eve online did, and it worked very well.

12. kozupii

kozupii New Member

VRChat:
    kozupii
    i have no problems running vrchat and i prob have the worst computer on paper but it still runs at 60+ frames with a full body vive.
    granted in my opinion i did whatever i could to my setup but it could be reproduced for cheap. i have an a10 7850k water cooled and oc to 4.5 32gb ddr3 and an 8gb rx570 with a 1300g2 psu. im sure bigger and better will always trump old tech but on a budget its far from needed. my next upgrade would be a b450 carbon mother board and a 1700x processor but it will require new 32gb ddr4 but even at that the ram is the most out of everything and overkill