1. Hi! Welcome to VRCat.club. This forum is now obsolete with the release of the official Ask VRChat forums. Please go there instead! Over time, this forum will be set to read only, and eventually removed. Move your threads and content! https://ask.vrchat.com/

Oculus and Vive comparison and information

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by MotoFckr9k, Dec 2, 2017.

1. MotoFckr9k

MotoFckr9k Member

Since this in kind of turning into console wars and it is hard to get somewhat objective advice I am making this comparison based on my experience with both systems and my knowledge about them. If there is something I missed or something that got changed please shout that out below. Also I for myself would buy the Oculus again if I was given the choice once more; I would not recommend it to everyone though. (That is independent from the price difference)

Oculus
    + Touch Controllers use far less energy and have a far higher running time than their vive counterparts. (I need to change the batteries every 2-3 weeks)
    + Touch Controllers have more intuitive finger "tracking"
    + possibility to use more sensors for less blindspots
    + good build-in headphones
    + stretchy headband for easily putting on
    + can be used with a kinect v2 for bodytracking

- sensors need a reliable physical connection to the pc
    - all in all the oculus uses much more usb-bandwidth than the vive (citation needed) which made the use of an additional interface card inevitable for me
    - the calibration/positioning of the sensors can be tricky if you want to use a inconventional setup (in my case putting then high up looking down and being on different height levels) (for reference the position you stand at the point of calibrating influences if the tool wants you to move the sensors and in which direction)
    - the textile around the lenses is not easily removable for cleaning (if you are a clean freak you can uninstall or rip it out)
    - these is no proper alternative to the vive trackers at this point in time. the kinect v2 seems to be reliable if you face it. playstation move might also work sufficiently with four or more cameras.

? At point of this comparison there is a bug making the oculus more vulnerable to low framerates. https://vrchat.canny.io/bug-reports/p/rift-low-framerate-jitter

It might be worth noting that a third Touch Controller could in theory be used for hip tracking if that was implemented into vrchat.
    The standard build in headphones are on-ear. There are in-ear alternatives available as an acsessory.
    There often times is no warning from the software if your usb-bandwidth is exceeded, or there are other chipset related problems. (That was the case for me at least) Indicators for low usb bandwidth or chipset problems are mostly jumping tracking, slight lagg spikes in tracking and/or high cpu usage (normal cpu usage depends on the type of connection and number of sensors)

Common misconceptions regarding the oculus rift are:
    The need for usb 3.0
    While there are tracking improvements to connecting the sensors to a usb 3.0, using a usb 2.0 instead works just fine. I assume the sensors just drop the framerate at which they capture their images.
    Also the headset itself does not benefit from being connected to a usb 3.0, but there have been numerous cases of usb 2.0 ports not supplying enough energy to the headset. Usb 2.0 is able to drive it without a problem if the usb 2.0 port supplies a sufficient amount of energy. I personally never had a usb 2.0 port not provide enough energy.​
    The need for a third sensor for 360° tracking
    While the software and many internet sources prompt you to get an additional sensor for 360° tracking, you can do the same thing with just two. Just bear in mind that an additional one can reduce blindspots and that you probably won't be able to extend your tracking space to the normal maximum size, since the oculus needs two sensors facing an object to track its distance reliably at higher distances.​

Vive
    + tracking system supports third party hardware
    + has an additional port on the headset for an addon (leap motion for example, which is not compatible with vrchat at this point in time)
    + support for vive tracker commonly used for feet and hip tracking
    + base stations do not need a physical connection to the pc
    + base stations have a bigger field of view than their oculus counterparts
    + the relative position of the base stations are calibrated without user input

- cannot be used with the kinect v2 without much hassle (the kinect and the vives tracking system interfere with each other)
    - controllers need to be charged regulary and might run out of charge when playing for extended periods of time (8 hours running time; citation needed)
    - the lenses have a grid pattern in them (shout out if they changed that)

? controllers have a weird shape

It might be worth noting that the base stations contain rapidly moving parts. I do not know of any buzzing or instability caused by this though.
    Older versions of the vive use three cables coming from the headset instead of just one.
    There are also build-on headsets avilable for the vive called deluxe audio strap.

Other differences
    The cable of the vive runs centered over your head, where as the cable of the rift runs on the left side. This annoyed me quite a bit, especially for seated gaming.
    The facial interface of the vive has a bigger meeting surface than that of the rift.
    I did not compare the glare effects and field-of-views of both headsets since they are dependet on the shape of your head.
    Oculus was acuired by facebook and most of the founder staff was fired, which makes the direction of future development unclear. The Vive is manufactured by HTC and mostly developed by Valve which seems more respectable, because of their fair customer treatment with the steam platform in the past.

Since i do not own a vive i cannot speak about any bad/good experiences when it comes to setting it up or using it for extended periods of time.
    Also some things are of course taste. This thread is somewhat based on my personal taste.

EDIT: Added common misconceptions about the rift.

#1 MotoFckr9k, Dec 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    desunesu likes this.
  2. Psych

Psych Resident Nerd
    Forum Staff

Great post! A couple things I'd add to this list, as someone who owns both:

-Vive requires a separate purchase of audio strap ($99) to deliver integrated headphone sounds; this is almost a required purchase to match comfort of the rift
    -Full body tracking (as you mentioned) also has the benefit of significantly increased immersion (as reported by other users; I don't yet have this myself)
    -Oculus is far more portable for demoing on the go, if you have a VR laptop. I can fit the entire setup in my backpack, and the setup only requires 1 power outlet for your laptop charger. The Vive requires 3 total power outlets (one for headset power, and one for each base station). Vive also requires two tripods or mounting solutions when traveling
    -Overall I think the freedom of movement with the Vive is more immersive
    -Newer Vives weigh less than the first generation...although it's reported to be only a couple grams, I was surprised when I purchased a 2nd vive for work and felt how light it was

desunesu and MotoFckr9k like this.