1. Welcome to VRCat! Please note that this message board is not related to VRChat in any official manner. It is run entirely by the community, and moderated by the community. Any content present has not been reviewed by VRChat moderators or staff. Your use of these forums implies understanding of this message. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice

Silent's Cel Shading Shader

Discussion in 'Tutorials and Tools' started by Silent, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Rokk

Rokk New Member

VRChat:
    Rokk
    I like the way this one looks (the lighting is very good), but the Cutout version seems to lack an Alpha Cutoff slider. Additionally, the part that does get cut out leaves a transparent image behind:

upload_2019-1-8_19-20-43.png

Is there a way around this? The "TransparentCutout" rendering mode gives me dithered transparency, which I don't want either.

2. Silent

Silent Member

Hi! The latest version available on the repository will allow you to turn dithering in cutout off.

One large change planned for release in 1.3 is a rework to how light directionality is handled. It should allow avatars in worlds with a mixture of baked and realtime light to handle it much better, similar to Standard, while still looking properly cel shaded!

Unity_2019-01-10_03-14-45.jpg

In this image, a baked light source from the left is contributing the most light, causing the shading to face it - but a magician is throwing shade from ahead. This is all designed to work fine with existing materials, too!

3. Silent

Silent Member

With the conclusion of a long testing period, I'm pleased to announce that 1.3 is ready for release!
    The latest version is available from GitLab in the main post, or here.