1. Welcome to VRCat! Please note that this message board is not related to VRChat in any official manner. It is run entirely by the community, and moderated by the community. Any content present has not been reviewed by VRChat moderators or staff. Your use of these forums implies understanding of this message. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice

Strange Audio Bug

Discussion in 'World Building' started by FlameG102, Sep 8, 2019.

1. FlameG102

FlameG102 Member

Since an update or two ago, pretty sure since the audio update, Ive had a very strange bug on my map that basically kills all the voice and avatar audio.

A bit of background- my map has a lot of fire particles for torches, along with their light sources, all dynamic. (for now)

Now I have occlusion culling done and all that, but I do have a button at spawn that disables all particles and lights, and replaces them with a single directional light. The strange thing is, this bug disappears when the button is pressed. when you load into the world, you cant hear anyone talk, and even avatar sounds and even some MENU sounds are just gone. World audio and sounds play just fine. But You toggle the performance button, and all the missing audio comes back.

Ive been trying to isolate the cause of this for quite a while now to no success. And the Discord is really no help.

Things I can say for sure are- there is only 1 audio listener. I don't have enough individual audio sources to break everything. And generally there's never more than 2 playing at once.

Ive tried looking at the output log, but I can't make heads or tails of it. I cant really isolate anything that would be causing this problem.

I made a streamable using an avatar I found that lets you hear your own microphone audio, to give an idea of the issue. I try simply tapping the mic for that.

I can post the output log too if you want. This is driving me nuts.

2. FlameG102

FlameG102 Member

so I discovered the issue. turns out it WAS audio sources. I had failed to notice that all the prefabs I used as torches had audio sources I forgot to do something about. I guess occlusion culling doesnt do anything about that. Weird since i didnt have any issues before the audio update