1. Welcome to VRCat! Please note that this message board is not related to VRChat in any official manner. It is run entirely by the community, and moderated by the community. Any content present has not been reviewed by VRChat moderators or staff. Your use of these forums implies understanding of this message. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice

Avatars Tupper's Tutorials Megathread

Discussion in 'Tutorials and Tools' started by Tupper, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Tupper

Tupper The Strongest
    Forum Staff

VRChat:
    Tupper
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to my VRChat tutorial thread. In here, I'll post any new videos I make for my YouTube channel along with a short summary, any updates, and take suggestions for new videos or tutorials. I'll also keep the OP updated, so you'll always have the library available to you at the top of the thread. I'll also post a suggested order-of-watching if you're just getting started, and a TODO list of videos I've got queued for some later date.

EDIT 5/31/2018: I have been employed with VRChat since January, but this guide was written before I started working for the company. Nothing in this guide is officially endorsed by VRChat, and my statements in this document, my videos, and any related media do not represent the views of my employer.

Videos

MMD to Blender to Unity to VRChat!
    This is probably the first video you should watch. It covers a lot, very quickly-- and despite that, it is nearly 50 minutes long. Sorry about that. I cover the basics of translating MMD models, importing them into Blender, doing basic decimation and bone fixes, exporting to FBX for Unity, and setting up the Avatar Descriptor.

There are some problems with this video! I'd use annotations to note these, but YouTube removed that feature! Hurray!
    1. The mmd_tools link I provide in the video is out of date. Use the one in the description or just click here.
    2. I don't cover bones/rigging very well. There's another video for this, scroll down.
    3. I don't reiterate this strongly enough. JOIN YOUR MESHES BEFORE YOU EXPORT.

[​IMG]
    New mmd_tools Overview
    This is a relatively quick overview of the features in the new mmd_tools Blender script. You should watch this after the one above!

Some more problems!
    1. The pink texture is solved by unchecking "Toon Tex" on the right hand side. Might wanna uncheck "Sph Tex" too or whatever its called that's right next to it.
    2. Translation isn't perfect. It uses a static dictionary and doesn't translate material names/shape key names. I'd stick with using PMX Editor as described in the MMD to Blender to Unity to VRChat video.

[​IMG]

Common Bone and Rigging Issues
    Probably the second most important video on the channel. This is an overview of common issues I see with people's models in regards to rigging, bone layout, parenting, and other bone-related issues.

[​IMG]
    Optimization Techniques
    Probably the most important video on the channel. This is an overview of techniques to reduce draw calls and CPU usage by your avatar. I cover draw calls, what they are, why they're important, and how to reduce them. Additionally, I cover Texture Atlasing, and limiting the use of Dynamic Bones.

[​IMG]
    Dynamic Bones
    Here I cover how to use the Dynamic Bones script for allowing natural(ish) movement of hair, clothes, and other hanging objects from your avatar.

[​IMG]
    Viewing Order
    I'd suggest watching the videos in the order presented in this playlist:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmyZ_69Q0yQm7r-vFMlbW-oB9AxatMBd_

TODO

Videos I want to add soon:
    • Updated MMD to Blender to Unity to VRChat tutorial
    My original video is quite out-of-date. I need to include the use of some very useful Blender scripts I've either found or that other users have built, as well as update the process to use the latest Blender version and mmd_tools version. I also need to go more in-depth into the installation of the tools (Unity, Blender, the SDK, etc)
    • Manual creation of texture atlases
    TCL has suggested that manually tiling UVs for texture atlases results in better-looking results. It is apparently pretty easy.
    • Animations and Overrides
    A very-often requested video. I'm not that great at animations, and Unity seems to hate me every time I try to make new animations. In fact, I think Unity hates me in general.
    • Viseme creation
    Making visemes by hand is difficult. Thankfully, most/all MMDs come with some basic ones by default, so we can work with those.
    • Eye Tracking (but honestly, Lather's video is so much better than I could do)

That's all for now! Please let me know if you have suggestions, comments, or etc.

#1 Tupper, Nov 15, 2017
    Last edited: May 31, 2018
  2. Compatible

Compatible New Member

VRChat:
    Compatible
    Helpful as always, Tupper. I'd personally enjoy seeing a manual texture atlas video next.

3. four

four Member

VRChat:
    Quatro
    Stuff like this is half the reason I joined VRChat.

One of the most helpful communities on the net. Thanks Tupper.

Andraste likes this.
  4. Chikosei

Chikosei Member

VRChat:
    Chikosei
    As of since i joined VRChat this is the best video to assist on helping to import mmd models to VRchat Really good job

;)

5. Tupper

Tupper The Strongest
    Forum Staff

VRChat:
    Tupper
  6. Tupper

Tupper The Strongest
    Forum Staff

VRChat:
    Tupper
    Forgot to add my new video:

Cat's Blender Tools

Here, I cover Cat's amazing Blender Tools. These scripts will save you hours upon hours of time once you've got the process down. It isn't perfect just yet, but these scripts are great and help you address tons of common issues, as well as automatically create visemes, eye tracking, texture atlasing, and other awesome things. USE IT!

Aev likes this.
  7. Aev

Aev The Guy
    Forum Staff

VRChat:
    Aev
    Pinning the thread for visibility. Looking forward to new tutorials!

8. Tupper

Tupper The Strongest
    Forum Staff

VRChat:
    Tupper
    Thanks for the pin, Aev!

Here's my latest. A huge, 1 hour 40 minute video on the full process of importing as it stands today.

Aev, GiveMeAllYourCats and Kcalb like this.
  9. jimbo1qaz

jimbo1qaz New Member

VRChat:
    jimbo1qaz
    Partial textual summary of Megatutorial:

- There's a "better" build of mmd_tools.
    - https://github.com/powroupi/blender_mmd_tools/tree/dev_test
    - https://github.com/powroupi/blender_mmd_tools/archive/dev_test.zip

- Left tab-bar/CATS has an import button.
    - "Proper" import settings are preselected in latest CATS. All imports are scaled by 0.08.
    - Since I'm importing legs from another file, maybe Blender scale=1 and Unity scale=0.08 would be cleaner.
    - Click CATS/Model/Fix model.
    - For hair and other dynamic animations, use CATS/Optimization/Bone Merging (click Refresh List) to simplify bones.
    - To link animations as a single unit, use CATS/Bone Parenting (click Refresh List).
    - Does this improve speed? Do I *have* to do that if it makes posing ugly?

- Bottom right panel's toolbar, click the ▽ (Data) square. The "basis" shape key is default. All others define model transformations (blinking, mouth movement, etc). Click Basis unless you know what you're doing.

- Right-click armature, press Tab to Edit armature.
    - CATS/Model/Start Pose Mode (bottom), then test out joints.

- Split model by material
    - todo
    - Simplifying geometry (must be <20,000 tris):
    - bottom-right, toolbar/:wrench:/Add Modifier. Generate/Decimate. ▵to top.
    - Collapse = curved parts.
    -Planar = flat-ish parts. (Decreases face count a lot, but tri count not as much)
    - Ctrl-L = select connected component, to delete.
    - Join Models (or something)
    - do this or everyone will witch hunt you for creating lag

- Texture Atlas = faster?
    - some magic incantation to fix transparency.
    - todo

10. Rabblerouser

Rabblerouser New Member

VRChat:
    Rabblerouser
    So does this mean you're not going to make a tutorial on how to create lip sync for Unity from scratch?
    Do you know of a video that does so?

11. Jazneo

Jazneo Member

VRChat:
    Jazneo

this video teach me how to do blendshape

Firestorm185 likes this.
  12. Rabblerouser

Rabblerouser New Member

VRChat:
    Rabblerouser
    Will this work for unity? If so, many thanks!

I am just starting out with rigging and decided the best way was to learn from scratch, challenge myself with a totally unrigged, bone-less mesh. It's the long way around, but it'll teach me all I need to know.