1. Hello, Guest! This forum is now read-only. Please move to the VRChat Ask Forums. This site may be eventually removed. Move your threads and content! If you wish to archive information, now's the time to do so. https://ask.vrchat.com/

VRC LGBT discord server

Discussion in 'VRChat Discussion' started by Psych, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Psych

Psych Resident Nerd
    Forum Staff

Hello all! Some of us in the community have created an LGBT discord server for VRChat. If you're interested in joining, here's the link to the discord: https://discord.gg/2cJdXUU

The idea for this server is to help form a place to come for those who are in the LGBT community. Please let me know if you have any questions!

#1 Psych, Jan 27, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    Printer and GREENCAT like this.
  2. fare67t

fare67t Member

VRChat:
    fare67t
    Not to be mean / cause offense, but isn't making a world / server specifically for LGBT people kinda the same thing as herding them all to a remote location so others don't have to look at them...?
    As a former Brony, i've had my share of people making fun of me / causing harm, so I can understand having a safe haven.
    Just, to possibly reduce the amount of future raids on the world / prevent mass trolling, possibly think about naming it an LGBT Friendly server rather then a place specifically for them.
    and like I said at the top, I've got nothing against them, just putting my 2 cents in~

3. Psych

Psych Resident Nerd
    Forum Staff

You definitely bring up an interesting point! I'm curious, what do you mean by Brony?

For the LGBT server, we definitely welcome allies! Although it's true that herding people to a remote location isn't good, that's not quite the point of the server. Instead of thinking about separating people from the community, we're just adding another place that LGBT people (and allies) can go to discuss issues related to LGBT. It also allows for us to feel bonded with one another over belonging to a similar culture/community. So it's less about isolation, and more about facilitating a sense of community among people who share a common trait, if that makes sense.

4. fare67t

fare67t Member

VRChat:
    fare67t
    A Brony is generally a term used to describe anyone that likes / watches My Little Pony, but isn't an 8-year old girl or such.
    And yeah, I can get having a place to talk to one another about such things.
    However what I guess i'm saying is that having a world like that can be a big commitment / a lot of work, and I don't mean by planning what to do and such.
    No i mean a lot of work fending off the hungry Internet trolls / idiots wanting to barge in and scream racial slurs and what not to the population.
    So to summarize: perhaps it would be a better idea to advertise the place your making as "LGBT friendly", as this basically says "hey yeah we're just a normal world like everywhere else, but we're friendly to ___".
    Where as saying the place's main focus is to be a place for LGBT people could be taken as the equivilent to an RP room (ONLY LGBT allowed, or at least thats what people may think) and/or a potential target by [Insert derogatory word for internet people here] to attack. (Like they incident in America where a Furry convention was attacked / tear-gassed by unsavories)

5. Psych

Psych Resident Nerd
    Forum Staff

AHH I just realized that it seems I mean a VRC server, when in fact I mean a Discord server (we're playing in the normal VRCHat servers). I think this may be a source of confusion, I can edit for clarity

6. fare67t

fare67t Member

VRChat:
    fare67t
    OOOH.
    Yeaaaah, maybe should do that x3
    Still applies though, make it appear as if its open to all, but friendly to LGBT instead of a hub for Just LGBT~

7. Gamgee

Gamgee New Member

VRChat:
    Gamgee
    Link expired :( Any change I could get an invite thrown my way?

8. Psych

Psych Resident Nerd
    Forum Staff

Ah sorry about that! Thanks for letting me know, here you go:

https://discord.gg/2cJdXUU

9. Gamgee

Gamgee New Member

VRChat:
    Gamgee
    Thanks very much!