1. Welcome to VRCat! Please note that this message board is not related to VRChat in any official manner. It is run entirely by the community, and moderated by the community. Any content present has not been reviewed by VRChat moderators or staff. Your use of these forums implies understanding of this message. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice

Weird shading issue

Discussion in 'Avatars' started by KingCaplico, Feb 14, 2020.

1. KingCaplico

KingCaplico New Member

VRChat:
    KingCaplico
    Avatars that I upload have this odd issue where they look very shadowy and dull. I'm not sure if it's because I don't have shaders or if I'm using textures wrong.

dull Screenshot (5).png
    dull Screenshot (6).png
    shading/coloring I want to have Screenshot (7).png

2. Iwannalookatattachments

It looks like there isnt any lighting where you took the picture, try going to a few different worlds and see if it shows up the same way. If you want your avatar to always be lit you can use the emission setting without global illumination on the shader. Most users I have talked to keep the emission setting as low as possible because otherwise you might look like a light bulb in a dark location.

KingCaplico likes this.
  3. KingCaplico

KingCaplico New Member

VRChat:
    KingCaplico
    Thank you! I think that's whats happening. So like this basically? Screenshot (10).png

4. Iwannalookatattachments

Yes, except I would leave the color texture for emission blank and select none in the global illumination dropdown. After thats its just some trial and error on getting the emission intensity set for how bright you would like your character.