1. Welcome to VRCat! Please note that this message board is not related to VRChat in any official manner. It is run entirely by the community, and moderated by the community. Any content present has not been reviewed by VRChat moderators or staff. Your use of these forums implies understanding of this message. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice

What do YOU think is the most pressing/imporant issue for VRChat currently?

Discussion in 'General' started by Tupper, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Tupper

Tupper The Strongest
    Forum Staff

VRChat:
    Tupper
    Pretty simple title! I've got my own personal list of issues/fixes that I consider "top of the list", but I'd like to hear from you guys. What do you (personally) think that the most important thing to fix for VRChat is, right now?

Here's my personal rough list:
    1. Avatar filename/blueprint ID collision
    2. IK/Photon/uSpeak overhead optimization
    3. Scripting via Playmaker/C#

GREENCAT and desunesu like this.
  2. Mr.Crane

Mr.Crane Member

Switch 1 and 2 and I totally agree. Cause bad fps are much worse than switched avatars and make me literally sick.
    Most of the time I have to leave or use desktop mode when I want to join events with lots of users. Not only anime girls ;-)...
    My number 3 would be a simple text based chat inside VRChat.

GREENCAT and desunesu like this.
  3. Jazneo

Jazneo Member

VRChat:
    Jazneo
    1. Avatar filename/blueprint ID collision
    This need to be fixed before populate of vrchat get big or we going see a lot more people complain

desunesu and Mute like this.
  4. Printer

Printer Member

VRChat:
    Printer
    Optimization on avatars. Too many people are using terribly ported MMD models or using VRC SDK edits to upload more than 20k polys. Along with too many dynamic bones. No one needs 100 bones for hair.

5. Jazneo

Jazneo Member

VRChat:
    Jazneo
    to fix that we need more guides on how to do it

GREENCAT and Psych like this.
  6. Saintrl

Saintrl Member

VRChat:
    Saintrl
    Huh, had a feeling there would be an exploit to bypass the limit.

GREENCAT likes this.
  7. Mr.Crane

Mr.Crane Member

Edit the SDK ? Why isn't there a server-side check on the poly-count ? If so, why not just ban these guys for violating the rules. Or at least replace the illegal avatar with something ugly.

Pandan and GREENCAT like this.
  8. Jazneo

Jazneo Member

VRChat:
    Jazneo

vrchat lack in security reason why it happen

9. Aev

Aev Mister Donut
    Forum Staff

VRChat:
    Aevroze
    From what I understand the polycount is actually a non-issue when it comes to lag. It's all the other issues with avatars, especially dynamic bones, that are causing performance problems.

Overlorb and GREENCAT like this.
  10. Jazneo

Jazneo Member

VRChat:
    Jazneo
    It material and particle as well and the Ik and networking plus so many people Bunch up in one area of the map lol

11. Jazneo

Jazneo Member

VRChat:
    Jazneo
    Big issue let people hack the SDK would not fix the issue of any performance what say that person want bypass new limit system on material they just bypass that do it aways. it needs more security what a person can do on the avatar. before trying fix performance issue something because the SDK editor does not teach people not stay in performance just teach how to bypass the limit. in my opinion, they should need to stop before it normal thing to do when they won't have a control over a there program

#11 Jazneo, Nov 19, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  12. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop New Member

VRChat:
    Zarniwoop
    Other than optimization issues, I think searching and playing videos from within VR needs to make a comeback yesterday. That was awesome to do back in 5.3 and I really miss it.
    The "steam overlay" bug is really damn annoying too, when you bring up the overlay and randomly you're stuck at low FPS until you restart the client. I do it to check the time and discord, and I hate feeling like I'm playing minesweeper every time I pull it up.

GREENCAT likes this.
  13. Tupper

Tupper The Strongest
    Forum Staff

VRChat:
    Tupper
    While I agree on the bones issue (Dynamic Bones are the devil), polycount has essentially nothing to do with performance. Despite the danger of stepping in meme territory (ACTSHUALLY), populated rooms being laggy is actually a combination of (in rough order of severity):
    1. Inverse Kinematics calculations (the program that guesses, given your hand/head position, the location of the rest of your body)
    2. uSpeak networking overhead
    3. Photon network handling
    4. Dynamic Bones overuse
    5. Draw calls from too many materials/unmerged meshes
    Out of all of those, the only ones we as players can affect is #4 & #5. NoeNoe has done a lot of work in the area of creating "event" avatars-- highly optimized avatars you can put on a pedestal that reduce the amount of lag in populated rooms. They're pretty effective, but if you have 60 people in a room, you're going to experience lag no matter what.

I'll also point out that a model being an MMD or not has absolutely nothing to do with performance.

tl;dr: Someone who has edited their SDK so they can get in a 40k tri avatar with one mesh, one material, and 5 dynamic bones is going to be more performant than someone with 3 meshes, 10 materials, and 20 dynamic bones. However, if you put 60 people as Unity-cube-people in one room, you're going to lag, no matter what.

Sorry for the wall of text, but this is an often-misunderstood bit of information.

Edit: All that being said, I will agree that the best thing that the players can do right now is educate other players. Teaching others how to optimize and why it is important is wildly important, and is the best return-on-effort we've got for performance.

DJ1001, GREENCAT, Printer and 3 others like this.
  14. Saintrl

Saintrl Member

VRChat:
    Saintrl
    I've been getting differing advice from different people. Someone told me that joining meshes together isn't what affects performance, it's just the number of materials. So 5 meshes and 1 material would be better than 1 mesh and 5 materials. Then elsewhere I hear that you MUST join meshes or else you'll get a performance drop and number of materials isn't as important. It's not like I can have 1 mesh and 1 material because if you want custom animations you'll need things as separate objects/meshes so you can hide it in unity. Probably just me running into a massive amount of misinformation but there's no one to really sit me down and explain how everything works.

15. Jazneo

Jazneo Member

VRChat:
    Jazneo
    Skin mesh render and mesh render to different if you want to make item be seperate you make it own item with mesh render on it not with skin mesh render

Skin mesh render cause more lag. when i mesh render does not. there way equip static item in unity you just put them on the bone of the model make sure line up right in 3d view on part want to be on

your avatar bodes has to be one mesh not items you want like gun or sword you equip them without need be weight paint on model

16. Jazneo

Jazneo Member

VRChat:
    Jazneo
    1 materiel can be possible but the problem not everyone is pro at make mask shaders for there avatar reason wont fly that much have 1 material for right now in vrchat.

if you don't have any knowledge in math or any programmer skill or understand how light effect color in shaders not going be possible for now we need better info how to make mask shader before tell people use 1 material no one have one effect on model if they dont know how to make shaders

17. Saintrl

Saintrl Member

VRChat:
    Saintrl
    I legit have no idea what you mean by that. Could you PM me a more detailed explanation? But yeah, it's probably a bit of an issue that we have a lot of misinformation going around with making avatars and what's the proper way to go about improving performance.

18. ProfessorSnep

ProfessorSnep Member

VRChat:
    ProfessorSnep
    You want to combine Skinned Meshes because they take up extra draw calls for each material you have on them. You want to decrease materials too because they take up one draw call each. Also, you can definitely do custom animations without the use of separate meshes because you can always animate a material to be invisible / use blend shapes / etc.

internetofmine likes this.
  19. Tupper

Tupper The Strongest
    Forum Staff

VRChat:
    Tupper
    Snep's basically got it. Every skinned mesh renderer (and to a lesser extent, every static mesh renderer) incurs a draw call. If you have multiple materials used across multiple mesh renderers, then you're going to multiply draw calls.

20. Printer

Printer Member

VRChat:
    Printer
    What is a draw call and why does it hurt performance to do it?