1. Welcome to VRCat! Please note that this message board is not related to VRChat in any official manner. It is run entirely by the community, and moderated by the community. Any content present has not been reviewed by VRChat moderators or staff. Your use of these forums implies understanding of this message. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice

Avatars Xiexe's Toon Shader (v2.0 | Updated 3/11/2019) - XSToon - The Rewrite

Discussion in 'Tutorials and Tools' started by Xiexe, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Mysteryem

Mysteryem New Member

Ah, sorry, those were meant to be two entirely separate points.

I'm not sure what else there is to explain.

On the specular side, if I make the specular map entirely white or entirely black, I get no specular highlights. I was converting an avatar to using your shader and had a specular map with black for no highlights and white for maximum highlights and got very confused when using that specular map resulting in having no specular highlights whatsoever.

On the PBR reflections side, it's a rather noticeable difference between the PBR reflections of the standard unity shader and XSToon for my case of wanting a glossy, reflective, plastic-like look.

2. Xiexe

Xiexe Member

VRChat:
    Xiexe

Ah, alright - I probably missed some stuff as I was adding more and broke some stuff without meaning to. I will more than likely have a 1.5 release soonish with a bunch of fixes, I will try and get these in as well.

3. Livb

Livb New Member

VRChat:
    Livb
    Some of the pictures from the guide are down [​IMG]

4. Chia-P

Chia-P New Member

VRChat:
    Protagonist-kun
    I just came here to say that these shaders are very well-optimized. I've been using it for about a week, and my avatar performance rank is Excellent. Thank you Xiexe for this shader.

RogerDelmar and Xiexe like this.
  5. POODLEMAN

POODLEMAN New Member

VRChat:
    POODLEMAN
    Hi Xiexe. In the previous version that my friend was using there was a lighting dropdown. There were two options. One of those options was "world" and I forget what the other one was. In the 2.0.1 release, I am not seeing this dropdown and it seems world lighting is enabled by default, causing my avatar's shadows to be very dark. Lightening the shadow gradient's right side did not fix this. You state that "resetting the material" would fix this. Could you please clarify? I have attached an image of the dark shadows.

Attached Files:

6. Xiexe

Xiexe Member

VRChat:
    Xiexe

Currently in the new version, the old "Mixed" mode is the only option. I don't have any plans to add the other options back, as they fundamentally broke things.

Unfortunately, due to the way that Unity's shadows work, any shadows cast on you by a directional light, point light, or spot light, will have to be colored by the worlds ambient color.

If I don't do this, things break, such as being too bright, or too dark in some lighting setups - this was a huge issue with 1.7.

Most worlds however utilize baked, or mixed lighting now, so you should really almost never run into your shadows looking like that in game.
    I would suggest disabling shadows on your directional light to preview how things actually look.

Another option, if you're super unhappy with the possibility of that, is to disable shadow casting on your mesh renderer.

This stop self shadowing from happening, which is the cause of the shadowing you've shown - keep in mind that it also stops you from casting shadows onto other things though.

Sadly there's no real set and easy way to fix this, and I'll be trying to develop my own methods to do so, but no promises on anything anytime soon. Unity's lighting systems very much assume you're using standard lighting models.

POODLEMAN likes this.
  7. POODLEMAN

POODLEMAN New Member

VRChat:
    POODLEMAN
    Thank you for the explanation! You are right. Shadowing seems to be fine in-game.